Wednesday, 9 March 2011

ECCS Swimming

   Brrmmm! The bus screeched to a stop. It was Friday the fourth of March, this day was not an ordinary day - it was the ECCS swimming sports day. With us were the children who had been selected for swimming sports. I looked out and saw the sign 'Jubilee Pools!!'
   I remember clearly what it felt like to be walking out into the grand stand. I felt so excited... and nervous, but I had a right to be, the pool was huge. 
   My first race felt like hours later. It was my B grade backstroke race. The pool was freezing! I knew that if I didn't get used to the water soon I was going to freeze in the middle of a stroke, so I used the advantage of starting in the water, and I dunked my head right under it. I heard the person with the whistle shout
'On your marks,' He paused, 'Beep' I was off! My biggest fear was hitting the lane ropes. Fortunately I did not hit either, the race seemed to go on forever and just when I thought it was going to go on forever, I hit the end. I came 2nd! I hopped out of the pool and grabbed the second place stick. I gave it to Mr Brindle!
   I found my money and dashed over to the food store. The next thing I knew I was eating the most delicious sausage sizzle ever. 
   I was called up for my next race. This race was A grade freestyle. I dived into the pool but I didn't do very well. I came last. It was a bit of a disappointment but now my goal in swimming is to become better at freestyle.
   Next was breastroke - A grade - Breastroke is my favourite stroke! I was so excited! I was stroke for stroke with the person next to me and we were coming =1 but they suddenly pushed in front of me, I came 2nd! Yay!! 
   The loudspeaker said my name, I was in the finals for breastroke! When I started I tried as hard as I could but couldn't keep it up so I came 5th.
   Over all it was a great experience and I can't wait for next year!
By Lauren   

No comments:

Post a Comment